The land on which the Berkshire County Sports Club stands was purchased in December 1948 by Berkshire County Council to provide a physical barrier between Reading and Sonning.

Used as a sports and social ground, it was originally a Private Members Club exclusively for employees of Berkshire County Council, and the earliest records date back to 1952 when the Club room consisted of an old railway carriage transported to the site by the Fire Department!

Following the demise of the Berkshire County Council in 1998, the Club became a self-financing entity, and now operates as a private members club open to all, and currently has a membership in the region of 600 adults and 400 juniors.

In April 2003, the Club was granted a 21-year lease on the Clubhouse and the 32 acres of playing fields, and it is hoped that this lease will be extended to 2033.

Over the years, the buildings and facilities at the Club have been enhanced. We no longer have that railway carriage, but a spacious lounge with a licensed bar, separate function room, changing facilities, squash courts, billiards/snooker room, and a floodlit all-weather pitch.

About us
About us

Club History